Sunday 13 December 2009

The Reel World: Scoring for Pictures by Jeff Rona

I have been skimming through this book for the past day or so and I've found myself disagreeing with some of the things Mr Rona is saying.

Per Example:

Why are virtually no films made without music? Music adds emotional energy to the stories and characters in films in a way that a film can not do on its own.

I find this statement to be a little bit false. If Mr Rona had ever seen films that choose to negate music such as Michael Haneke's startling but excellent movie Cache(Hidden) then he would have thought twice about opening his book with the above quote.

There is no non-diegetic music throughout this movie and I doubt that any post audio work was re-created(such as street noises, after dialogue recording, foley etc)to complete this film.

Personally I found this gritty, raw, untouched style of cinema enthralling and captivating. The film itself is charged with emotion due to the strong acting performances and the realistic storyline. Even silence between characters in a scene is enough to make a seen tense and emotional. It was refreshing to have a real film I think compared to some of the watered-down, majorly diluted works of Hollywood and her counterparts.


No comments:

Post a Comment