Monday 4 January 2010

Down By Law

Last month I watched a film by Jim Jarmusch called Down By Law, it's a low budget film set in the southern states of America. The film is about 3 very low level crooks who are imprisoned in a small cell together and how they're relationship develops inside and outside the prison.

This is one of the films that I'm going to be using for my dissertation. I will be doing a case study on Jarmusch and his musical counterpart John Lurie. The reason I feel this is a good example of a musical film is because it uses a lot of jazz/latin music for all the themes and motifs. But it also uses a lot of silences to perhaps illustrate the circumstances the men are in. There are many questions I would like to have answered such as; why use the latin music? or Why use silence?

Through my case study I would like to think I'd learn the answers to these questions and more.



No comments:

Post a Comment